City Charter High School believes that all students need to be challenged academically to reach their fullest potential. One aspect of City High’s academic program is offering Honors Credit for certain courses. Honors Credit is obtained by completing honors work within specific classes. Honors activities consist of greater depth of content, extended work outside of classes, independent learning, increased individual responsibility and a willingness to persevere with challenging work.
The City High Honors program has the following attributes:
- Honors Credit is offered in four content areas: English, Social Studies, Mathematics and Science.
- Students do honors work in the regular heterogeneously grouped classrooms (i.e. there is no tracking).
- Honors work is strictly optional. Students self-select into the Honors Program with the advice of parents and teachers.
- Honors Credit is given within a course for work over and above the core curriculum.
- Students taking Honors will have the Honors indication on their report card and transcripts.
- Students taking Honors receive 25% additional quality points in the determination of their QPA.
- Honors Credit is formally offered only in 10th – 12th grades
9th grade will offer an Honors-prep program. 9th grade courses will provide “honors type” assignments for students will work on. Students have the option of including or not including those assignments in their class grade. The goal of the Honors-prep program is to encourage students to participate in more challenging academic work while getting a sense of their desire to take on honors work in subsequent grades.
Students can enter Honors at the beginning of any trimester. Students are allowed to drop Honors and not be held accountable for Honors work at any time during the first four weeks of a given trimester. After four weeks, students who remain in the Honors program are held accountable for all Honors assignments and activities.
11th and 12th Grade
Students must enter Honors in the beginning of the school year. Students are allowed to drop Honors and not be held accountable for Honors work at any time during the first four weeks of the first trimester of the course. After four weeks, students who remain in the Honors program are held accountable for all Honors assignments and activities for the entire year