City High College Scholarships, Grants & Awards
Thanks to generous supporters, City High awards $40,000 each year in grants and scholarships to deserving students. Students who demonstrate academic promise and financial need will find that these grants can help them jump-start their first year after graduation. Whether they are in a two- or four-year college or training program, the money can go toward tuition and fees, books, tools or work clothes The Scholarship Selection Committee will select and evaluate students for the awards based on performance, growth and a required essay about why they deserve the scholarship or grant money.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will evaluate and select scholarship recipients. The Committee is comprised of both Transition Managers and representatives from Administration, the Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Instructional Staff and the Board of Trustees.
The awards are one time only and are not renewable. Funds must be used in the twelve months following graduation from City Charter High School.
Awards must be used for expenditures directly associated with attending a post high school program (two or four year college or training program). Funds are paid directly to the institution and may be used for:
Tuition and fees • Books • Tools • Work clothes
Applicants must submit the following information.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
1. Completed application
2. High school transcript (must be requested 3 days in advance)
3. Current resume
4. Financial Aid Award
5. Student Aid Report
6. Essay (single spaced, one inch margins and not to exceed 2 pages)
See below for Essay content requirements
Applications may be submitted to the transition office or mailed to:
City High Scholarships
201 Stanwix Street, Suite 100
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
THE FOLLOWING SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS AND AWARDS ARE AVAILABLE
City High 2002 Scholarship — 4 Awards for $5,000 each
- 2.5 GPA
- Non-city of Pittsburgh resident
- 90% Attendance
- Essay—(See below for complete information)
Attendance includes tardies and early dismissals. Buy-in is also a factor in scoring and is based on disciplinary reports in the junior and senior year.
Deadline for CITY HIGH 2002 SCHOLARSHIP is 4:00 pm Friday, May 26th, 2017
City High Grant — Award is need based up to $2,000 for a total of $14,000
- Free or Reduced Lunch
- Pell Eligible
- Balance owed (including loans)
- Accepted to 2 year, 4 year or Trade program
- Essay (See below for complete information)
Deadline for CITY HIGH GRANT is 4:00 pm, Friday, May 26, 2017
City Charter High School — Graduation Project Award Information
- The 3 Graduation Project teachers will recommend students in their cohort to receive this award. No application is necessary.
Six $1,000 awards will be given
—4 Outstanding Awards
—2 WOW Awards (acknowledging effort and growth)
City High Scholarships and Grants Essay Question:
What are your future plans and how has your experience at City High prepared you to achieve them? Why do you deserve this scholarship?
ESSAY MUST INCLUDE:
- What are your future plans and how has your experience at City High prepared you to achieve them?
- Why do you deserve this scholarship?
- Personal growth in behavior, responsibility, independence
- Abilities and interests and how they align with your future plans
- A summary of how the internship experience helped shape your career goals and prepare you for the world of work
- Networking opportunities and program affiliations
The Scholarship Selection Committee reserves the right to redistribute funds based on the applications received. Yearly awards will always total $40,000.